A garden shed helps you keep your outdoor space organised and protects your gardening equipment, outdoor games and other items from wind, rain and snow. However, a pretty shed can also enhance the aesthetics of your property and contribute to a cosy atmosphere. If you’re not sure which garden tool shed is right for you, read on to learn about:
What are the benefits of a garden shed?
Owning a big or even small garden shed comes with various benefits. Not only are you protecting machines, gardening tools, outdoor furniture or cushions and other items from the elements, you’re also keeping them out of plain sight. On top of that, you’re making sure that everything is kept away from rodents and protected from possible theft.
Garden shed benefits at a glance:
- Weather protection for your machines and workshop supplies
- Protection from animals like rodents or pests
- Theft protection by attaching a padlock to the garden shed
- Proper storage for garden furniture and cushions
- An organised space leading to less clutter in your garden
- Various sizes and materials that go with your needs and outdoor aesthetics
- Possibility to visually hide garden composters by pacing them behind your garden shed
- Possibility to collect rainwater if you install water drainage
What size do I need?
The right garden shed when it comes to size depends on your planned usage and the available space in your garden. If you’re passionate about gardening, own a variety of larger tools like a lawnmower, garden irrigation equipment and also plan to store your outdoor furniture in the winter, you might want to opt for a larger size like 10x8ft. A spacious shed is even more practical if you install heavy duty shelves to organise your gardening accessories, so they’re readily available when you need them.
However, if you just need a safe place for a few items, a garden shed that measures 5x3ft might be the perfect size for your modest garden tool storage needs. Measure your outdoor space and create a rough sketch of your garden to visualize the size of your new shed in proportion to your outdoor space. At DeubaXXL, we offer a variety of sizes, so you don't have to make any compromises.
What materials should I look for?
Sheds for the garden come in a variety of materials. Each creates a unique look and feel in your garden and responds differently to rain, snow or heat. Below, you’ll find the most popular choices for garden sheds, including their pros and cons.
- Metal: Metal garden sheds are highly durable and ideal for areas that see severe weather throughout the year. They can withstand wind, rain and summer heat.
- Plastic or resin: Sheds from plastic or resin are very easy to clean and a little lighter than metal storage sheds. While this makes relocation much easier, they might not withstand extreme wind.
- Wood: Wood storage sheds create a more rustic look and hold up well in areas that see an above-average amount of sunshine throughout the year. Compared to metal or plastic sheds, they might require to be treated or repainted.
How much should I expect to spend?
The bigger the garden shed, the more you should be prepared to spend. While wood sheds are on the higher end of the price spectrum, plastic and resin tend to be the most affordable. A high-quality metal garden shed ranges from £150 - £350, depending on size and features. If you’re not in a rush, you’ll also easily find good garden sheds for sale.